Student Technical Assistant – Anderson – USA Job Vacancy
The Anderson laboratory is seeking two dependable students to work as laboratory assistants. Duties include dishwashing, preparing media for culturing bacteria, and general lab upkeep. The students will also maintain plants growing in growth chambers and greenhouses, and may assist lab personnel with research projects, depending on the students’ ability to meet/exceed the expectations of this position. The successful applicants must be able to follow instructions, be comfortable with basic chemistry (calculating molarity, dilutions, and converting between units) and be willing to commit at least 10-15 hours (max. 20 hours) a week during the 9 month academic year.
This recruitment will be used to fill two part-time (a maximum of 20 hours per week) student technical assistant positions for Department of Botany and Plant Pathology at Oregon State University.Position Duties80% Basic Laboratory Duties, including:
- Stocking/maintenance of laboratory supplies
- Making solutions and media
- General laboratory upkeep
10% Maintenance of plants in growth chambers and greenhouses
10% Molecular Biology – DNA extraction, PCR, cloning
Minimum Qualifications: Employment Eligibility Requirements http://fa.oregonstate.edu/stu-manual/500-employment-eligibility-requirementsMinimum Qualifications Additional Required Qualifications
1. Undergraduate student majoring in Botany, Biology, Biochemistry, Microbiology or closely related subject
2. Ability to follow written and/or verbal instructions
3. Familiarity with basic chemistry (molarity, dilutions, unit conversion, etc)
4. Ability to work independently after receiving training
5. Minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (university level)
6. Well-organized and attentive to detail. Strong work ethicPreferred (Special) Qualifications
1. Freshman and sophomores preferred
2. Demonstrated excellence in academic courseworkWorking Conditions / Work Schedule
The successful applicants must be comfortable working in a research lab. Use of an autoclave is required. Proper protective equipment and training will be provided.
This position requires 10-20 hours per week during the school year, with the potential for hours in the summer. Work hours are flexible during regular business hours, Monday through Friday.Posting Detail InformationPosting NumberP06166SE
Number of Vacancies2
Anticipated Appointment Begin Date02/03/2020
Anticipated Appointment End Date
Full Consideration Date
Indicate how you intend to recruit for this searchCompetitive / Student – open to ALL qualified/eligible students
Special Instructions to Applicants
When applying you will be required to attach the following electronic documents:
1) A Resume/Vita
2) University transcripts (unofficial OK)
3) Cover Letter; Please provide a cover letter that explains why you are qualified for this position and why you are interested in working in a research laboratory.
For additional information please contact: Jeff Anderson at email@example.com
OSU commits to inclusive excellence by advancing equity and diversity in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
Note: All job offers are contingent upon Human Resources final approval.