Senior Accountant – USA Job Vacancy
Position InformationRecruitment/Posting TitleSenior Accountant
Job CategoryStaff & Executive – Finance/Accounting/Purchasing
DepartmentController – Payroll Services
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national research university and the state of New Jersey’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Established in 1766 and celebrated a milestone 250th anniversary in 2016, the university is the eighth oldest higher education institution in the United States. More than 67,000 students and 22,000 faculty and staff learn, work, and serve the public at Rutgers locations across New Jersey and around the world.
Rutgers University–New Brunswick took root over 250 years ago. We are the state’s most comprehensive intellectual resource—the flagship campus of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, as designated by the Association of American Universities. We are the region’s most high-profile public research institution and a leading national research center with a global impact.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking a Senior Accountant for Controller – Rutgers University Payroll Services. Reporting to the Payroll Tax Manager, the Senior Accountant prepares payroll taxes in compliance with federal and state tax laws and regulations to ensure compliance with payment, reporting and other tax requirements. The Senior Accountant will prepare monthly account reconciliations for federal and state tax accounts and journal entries. The Senior Accountant is responsible for Nonresident Alien taxation and reporting for the University; implements tax policies and procedures governing Non-Resident Alien students, faculty and staff; researches federal and state tax regulations; acts as a representative for Payroll Services performing a wide variety of advanced accounting, research, and other payroll specific duties. Responsibilities include payroll tax compliance for US citizens, non-resident aliens, and employees working/ residing in various states. Compliance areas addressed include tax withholdings for regular wages and additional/extra compensation, computations of deductions for taxable fringe benefits and other non-monetary compensation. The position also ensures appropriate income tax positions are maintained with respect to certain awards, stipends, and fellowships. Ensures that all federal and state tax and associated reports and remittances are submitted in a timely and accurate manner.
- Prepares quarterly NJ UI/TDI/FLI filings. Reconcile tax payments each period to reflect necessary adjustments and corrections to employees tax records. Compile quarterly tax data necessary for general accounting reports and create quarterly file for submission to the State of New Jersey.
- Coordinates annual preparation, publishing, and distribution of Federal and State Forms W2, Federal Forms 1042S and Federal Forms 1099R.
- Generates wage information for periodic workers’ compensation audits.
- Ensures correct and timely tax software tax updates and amendments to tax tables.
- Provides guidance regarding the applicability of various Internal Revenue Code provisions.
- Researches the implications of various tax rules and regulations.
- Fosters and builds collaborative relationship with stakeholders from campus units including OIT, Accounting, Accounts Payable, Center for Global Services, etc.
Position StatusFull Time
Hours Per Week
Daily Work Shift
Annual Minimum Salary63936.000
Annual Mid Range Salary79656.500
Annual Maximum Salary95377.000
Union DescriptionURA-AFT Administrative
Information about the benefits provided to Rutgers employees can be found at: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview
Terms of AppointmentStaff – 12 month
Position Pension EligibilityABP
QualificationsMinimum Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field required
- A minimum of 5 years’ payroll tax experience for 1,000+ employee payroll processed in-house
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate complex tax rules and regulations to a customer base for whom English is not their primary language
- Excellent mathematics and communication skills
- Ability to maintain privacy and confidentiality
- Demonstrated ability to foster and build collaborative relations with stakeholders
- Master’s degree in taxation or accountancy
- Experience in higher ed
- 5 yrs payroll tax experience
- 5 yrs experience with ERP payroll system software, such as Oracle HCM/Cloud and/or PeopleSoft
- Will be using general office equipment on a regular basis including personal computer, multi-line telephone, copier, fax machine and various printers
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- May be required to work extended hours during peak periods throughout the year.
Posting DetailsPosting Number20ST0027
Posting Open Date01/14/2020
Special Instructions to Applicants
Regional CampusRutgers University-New Brunswick
Home Location CampusOff Campus
33 Knightsbridge Road, Piscataway, NJ, 08854
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of all pre-employment screenings.