Uncommon Schools is a nonprofit network of 55 high-performing charter public schools that are closing the academic achievement gap and preparing students from historically underserved communities for success in college and beyond. Uncommon currently manages schools serving more than 21,000 students in six cities: Boston, Camden, New York City, Newark, Rochester, and Troy.
We are seeking a paid Marketing Intern to join our team. The position assists all aspects of the marketing team and is a unique opportunity to gain experience across a variety of areas including digital media, copywriting, strategy and design. The position works closely with each member of the Marketing team and other Home Office staff.
- Length: 12 weeks from start date
- Hours: 24 hours per week and considered part-time
- Location: Remote, prefer NYC area.
- Compensation: This is a paid position at $18/hour. The intern will receive the tools needed to succeed, including access to a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Writing a wide range of marketing copy, including social posts, ads, email and more
- Support execution of email campaigns from concept to deployment
- Utilization of SEO best practices for site and content optimization
- Assist in analyzing digital campaigns and web results and reporting on performance metrics
- Plan projects from initiation stage through completion, including timeline development, stakeholder management and communication plans
- Support graphic designer in photo selection, background research, and project planning
- Update website to reflect the shifting needs of schools
- Ideation and participation in the development of new channels and content
- Administrative and miscellaneous tasks as needed by team
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Experience with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication, copy-editing, and proofreading skills
- Open to and appreciative of frequent feedback
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and be a self-starter.
- Excellent organization and time management
Preferred knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Educational background in Marketing, Media, Communications, or other relevant field of study
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (especially Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) and/or Canva
- Familiarity with keyword placement and other SEO best practices
Uncommon Schools offer salaries commensurate with experience and generous benefits and vacation package. All staff members receive extensive professional development, a laptop computer, and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a hardworking team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community by creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.