The NYC Department of Probation (DOP) is a world leader in working creatively and effectively engaging with people under court-mandated community supervision. Through innovative partnerships with people and
organizations throughout the New York City, DOP provides opportunities for those on probation to access
services and opportunities that positively impact their life trajectory. Following the best current data on “what works,” staff at DOP engage in meaningful relationships with those on probation in an effort to enhance community safety and decrease recidivism.
The Department is seeking to hire Investigator Analysts, with some latitude for independent initiative, judgment and decision making, and in close collaboration with Administration, Adult and Juvenile Operations, responsibilities will include but not limited to:
- Working closely with Probation Officers and other staff on complex, long-term investigations/monitoring;
- Using public records, databases, and social media to research case subjects;
- Analyzing telecommunications and other records;
- Capturing and documenting case-relevant online content;
- Preparing memorandums, spreadsheets, charts, and graphs, both for internal and external use;
- Mapping mobile (cell) devices site records;
- Data-mining and conducting proactive research;
- Establishing links, discerning activity patterns within on-line and social media;
- Coordinating with other bureaus and units within the Department of Probation, as well as with private and government entities;
- May be required to testify under oath about research and analysis;
- Conducting background and other investigative interview;
- May perform other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties described above; or
2. High school graduation or equivalent and six years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties as described above; or
3. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1” or “2” above. However, all candidates must have at least one year of experience as described in “1” above.
Data Preferred Skills
Candidates must be adaptable, organized, comfortable working with data.
- Excellent Communication Skills.
- Experience working in law enforcement or using any of the following applications will be considered a plus: Sytecch ADACS, Pen-Link, Thomson Reuters CLEAR, Lexis Nexis Accurint, Ringtail, and i2 Analyst’s Notebook.
APPOINTMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO OFFICE OF MANAGEMENT AND BUDGET (OMB) APPROVAL
Note: Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLFP). The federal government provides student loan forgiveness through its Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF) to all qualifying public service employees. Working with the DOP qualifies you as a public service employee and you may be able to take advantage of this program while working full-time and meeting the program’s other requirements. Please visit the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program site to view the eligibility requirements: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service
PLEASE SUBMIT RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
External Applicants: https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/
Internal Applicants: Employee Self Service (ESS)
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION IS NOT A GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL RECEIVE AN INTERVIEW
“THE CITY OF NEW YORK AND THE DEPARTMENT OF PROBATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER”
“REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST”
New York City residency is not required for this position; however, you must reside in New York State.