The Teachers’ Retirement System of the City of New York (TRS) is a public pension fund that provides New York City educators with retirement, disability, and death benefits. TRS was established on August 1, 1917 and is one of the largest pension plan sponsors in the United States, with more than $90 billion in assets and over 200,000 active and inactive members, retirees and beneficiaries.
Member Services is looking to hire a passionate, results-oriented individual to manage and grow its newly established Contact Center. This is a unique opportunity to make a fundamental impact on the types of services TRS provides to its 200K+ members. The Contact Center Manager will plan and implement strategies and operations to improve systems and processes. S/he will foster improvements both in operational processes and technology by conducting effective resource planning to maximize productivity of resources (people, technology etc.) and by collecting and analyzing statistics (customer service metrics, call volume statistics, production and quality reports) while developing objectives for the contact center’s day-to-day activities. The Contact Center Manager:
- Determines contact center operational strategies by conducting needs assessments, performance reviews, capacity planning, and cost/benefit analyses; identifying and evaluating state-of-the-art technologies; defining user requirements; establishing technical specifications, and production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards; contributing information and analysis to organizational strategic plans and reviews.
- Develops contact center systems by developing customer interaction and voice response systems, and voice networks; designing user interfaces; developing and executing user acceptance test plans; planning and controlling implementations.
- Maintains and improves contact center operations by monitoring system performance; identifying and resolving problems; preparing and completing action plans; completing system audits and analyses; managing system and process improvement and quality assurance programs; installing upgrades. Serve as a subject matter expert and process owner on projects, which may involve technological upgrades or enhancements that impact the Contact Center and/or Customer Service operations.
- Accomplishes contact center human resource objectives by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, assigning, coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; administering scheduling systems; communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing job contributions; planning and reviewing compensation actions; enforcing policies and procedures.
- Meets contact center financial objectives by estimating requirements; preparing an annual budget; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
- Prepares contact center performance reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data and trends.
- Maintains equipment by evaluating and installing equipment; developing preventive maintenance programs; calling for repairs; evaluating and implementing upgrades.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by tracking emerging trends in contact center operations management; attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
- Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university including or supplemented by 12 credits in mathematics, statistics, accounting, and/or actuarial science and four years of satisfactory full-time experience implementing the provisions of a retirement plan involving the use of mathematical, statistical, actuarial or accounting computations, 18 months of which must have been in an administrative, managerial or executive capacity or supervising professionals implementing the provisions of a retirement plan involving the use of mathematical, statistical, actuarial or accounting computations; or
2. An associate degree or 60 credits from an accredited college or university, including or supplemented by 12 credits in mathematics, statistics, accounting and/or actuarial science and six years of satisfactory full-time experience as indicated in “1”; or
3. Education and/or experience equivalent to “1” or “2” above. However, all candidates must have 60 credits from an accredited college or university, including or supplemented by 12 credits in mathematics, statistics, accounting and/or actuarial science and the 18 months of experience in a supervisory, administrative, managerial or executive capacity as described in “1” above.
Knowledge & Experience:
3+ years managing a high volume Contact Center including but not limited to calls, walk-in, correspondence, e-mail, chat, social media.
Exceptional interpersonal, customer service, problem-solving, verbal and written communication, and conflict resolution skills.
Knowledge of management principles and familiarity with company products, services, and policies. Strong coaching and leadership skills, ability to motivate employees.
Dealing with communication channels other than the telephone, such as text messaging, chat, email and the use of social media networks. Involves the use of software applications and databases and IT knowledgeable in order to provide technical assistance to other contact center agents.
Required Competencies (competency is a personal attribute that contributes to outstanding performance in a role. They describe how the primary job responsibilities are successfully completed):
- Analytical Thinking
- Effective Communication
- Member Focus
- Team Focus
If interested, please apply via ESS for NYC employees and NYC Careers for external applicants.
Qualified persons who have been certified as disabled and eligible to participate in 55-a program may apply.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.