NYCERS is undergoing major transformational initiatives including, the replacement of its current pension administration system. The Enterprise Project Management Office (EPMO) Division seeks to hire a Unit Manager to manage the Project Management Office (PMO) Unit reporting directly to the Division Director of the Enterprise Project Management Office. The Unit Manager will be responsible for management of the PMO functions and Project Management staff, supporting NYCERS enterprise-wide Project Management and Solution Delivery demand for services.
The Unit Manager will be responsible for managing the Project Portfolio Management practice, processes, policies including; Demand Management, Project, Program and Portfolio Management (PPM), Project Management Life Cycle, Project Performance Measurement and Communications, and Project Governance. The Unit Manager will also be responsible for the Continuous Process Improvement of the Project Portfolio Management practices, streamlining and improving the quality of PPM services delivery.
The Unit Manager will be required to work closely with NYCERS Division Directors and Deputy Directors and supporting project delivery stakeholders (Business Sponsorship, BA, Development, IT, QA, Vendors, external agencies, etc.) in providing PMO services and PM resources.
- Minimum of 3 years managing a PMO service delivery function and staff of 5+ project managers.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience as a Senior Project Manager with 5 years supervising other Project Managers.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in projects involving third party vendors.
- Experience adopting and adapting PMBOK Project Management concepts for Project Delivery Life Cycle practices.
- Broad experience with Solution Delivery Life Cycle (SDLC) methodologies: Waterfall, Agile, COTS, Custom/Iterative etc.
- Expertise with Microsoft-365 technologies: Word, Project, Excel, Visio, PowerPoint and Sharepoint are required.
- Strong interpersonal skills including negotiation, problem resolution, and customer service are required.
- Seasoned written and verbal communications skills are mandatory.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A master’s degree in computer science from an accredited college or university and three (3) years of progressively more responsible, full-time, satisfactory experience in Information Technology (IT) including applications development, systems development, data communications and networking, database administration, data processing, or user services. At least eighteen (18) months of this experience must have been in an administrative, managerial or executive capacity in the areas of applications development, systems development, data communications and networking, database administration, data processing or in the supervision of staff performing these duties; or
2. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university and four (4) years of progressively more responsible, full-time, satisfactory experience as described in “1” above; or
3. A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent, and six (6) years of progressively more responsible, full-time, satisfactory experience as described in “1” above; or
4. A satisfactory combination of education and experience equivalent to “1”, “2” or “3” above. However, all candidates must have at least a four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and must possess at least three (3) years of experience as described in “1” above, including the eighteen (18) months of administrative, managerial, executive or supervisory experience as described in “1” above.
In the absence of a baccalaureate degree, undergraduate credits may be substituted for a maximum of two (2) years of the required experience in IT on the basis of 30 semester credits for six (6) months of the required experience. Graduate credits in computer science may be substituted for a maximum of one (1) year of the required experience in IT on the basis of 30 graduate semester credits in computer science for one (1) year of the required IT experience. However, undergraduate and/or graduate credits may not be substituted for the eighteen (18) months of experience in an administrative, managerial, executive, or supervisory capacity as described in “1” above.
- Certified Project Management Professional.
- Other desirable skills include the ability to effectively manage multiple priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership to a team of project managers.
- Experience with Planview PPM tools administration (PPM Pro, Enterprise One).
TO APPLY FOR CONSIDERATION, PLEASE FORWARD A COVER LETTER INDICATING POSTING NUMBER 009-21-0034 AND A COPY OF A CURRENT RESUME TO:
CITY EMPLOYEES: Employee Self Service (ESS). www.nyc.gov/ess. Search for Job ID#: 457875
ALL OTHER APPLICANTS: www.nyc.gov/careers/search. Search for Job ID#: 457875
Internal candidates must have been rated a satisfactory or better on their last annual evaluation.
CANDIDATE MUST BE PERMANENT COMPUTER SYSTEMS MANAGER OR REACHABLE ON THE COMPUTER SYSTEMS MANAGER, EXAM NO. 9011 LIST.
PLEASE NOTE: SALARY RANGE- $140,000 – $150,000 (Annual)
New York City Residency is not required for this position